I find my first thought of an iWATCH initially displeasing, mostly from the size standpoint. As I think about it more and more, the hype is penetrating my subconscious, and it could potentially be a very useful tool.
I find my first thought of an iWATCH initially displeasing, mostly from the size standpoint. As I think about it more and more, the hype is penetrating my subconscious, and it could potentially be a very useful tool. I think of it as an opportunity to have a great extension of your computer, but even more importantly, an extension of your phone. Sony has been producing its SmartWatch for a few years, mainly geared toward exercise enthusiasts who want to track their vitals and fitness data. Samsung recently introduced its new watch called Galaxy Gear. So far I don’t see the Galaxy Gear as ground breaking. I don’t think that Samsung can do it.
As I see and hear all the hype, I started to think about what I would want in an iWATCH-type device. Below is my wish list:
- Send and receive text messages. (Via Voice)
- Receive incoming emails alerts and easily view emails.
- Incoming call notification and a way to dismiss the call or answer it.
- General notification center. Maybe the ability to apply rules so that you can get notified of important messages or calls from certain people.
- Blue tooth integration for interfacing with automobiles, entertainment devices, computers….
- Application feeds that notify the watch and then can switch to the app on your phone if you want to interact with that piece of information.
- GPS integration.
- Weather alerts. I like to fish so I would like to get alerts from special apps and keep track of tides and severe weather.
- Emergency software to call for assistance.
- Take voice commands and run Siri.
- Two days battery life.
I really start to like the idea of an iWATCH allowing me to get information and remain updated when I am driving. I know using the phone is outlawed but not the iWATCH, YAY. If the iWATCH can take voice commands and read text messages to me, then I am back in business and not breaking any laws.
The iWATCH will have some obvious deficiencies that will limit it’s usefulness. The size will limit every aspect of the device. Screen visibility, battery life, and general style are additional limitations. I don’t think it will be a game changer at any time. I do think that the evolution of technology will make the watch a necessary item at some point. Apple if you are listening I would like to place the pre-order now for my revised model….